The H1-B Visa class allows foreign nationals to live and work in the United States for up to six years. (An H1-B Visa is sometimes known as an Employment Authorization Document, or EAD).

NOTE: citizens of Canada and Mexico should visit our related page on TN Visas to learn about a special class of visas only available to them.

The most important thing to know about H1-B Visas is that they are scarce. Annual quotas on H1-B visas are firm, and in recent years all the visas available have been claimed within days of the opening of the application period. Our experienced Las Vegas immigration attorneys understand the application process and can help you strategize your application to increase your chances of getting one of these valuable visas.

To be eligible for an H1-B Visa, you must have a four-year degree from an accredited university. Alternatively, you may qualify with twelve years’ work experience.

(In some cases you can qualify with a combination of university and work time, where every year of university time is made up for with three years of work experience in a related field. You should consult an attorney for guidance.)

In addition to this education/work experience, applicants must have a specific job offer. The offer of employment must include a specific title/duty and a stipulated salary or wage. Also, the job you are applying for must require your skills and the profession must be one of those accepted under the H1-B regulations.

An H1-B Visa allows a foreign national to live and work in the United States for a three-year period, with an opportunity to apply for another three years. An H1-B Visa holder can get derivative status for a spouse and unmarried children (under 21 years of age) to join him/her.

The next application period for H1-B Visas opens on April 1, 2010. Act now to maximize your chances of gaining one of these visas by contacting an experienced immigration lawyer today.

If you have a four-year degree or commensurate work experience and currently have a confirmed job offer complete with a defined title/duty and salary, please contact us to learn about your eligibility for an H1-B Visa.